Saturday, February 06, 2010

My ISP peers with BitGravity

So, I did a tracert on BitGravity and discovered that my ISP is now peering with BitGravity. This is pretty good as TWiT Live is now no longer hiccuping due to this peering, which is amazing!

However, this does NOT solve persistent problems with streaming for (not even long) periods of time. Re-visiting my NASA TV feeds, it still disconnects after 5, 10, 20, 90 minutes. It used to be that I could stream 23 hours non-stop NASA TV, that's no longer true even with peering.

And this just takes the cake and slams it on the ground: Watching the STS-130 launch, the stream cut out in the middle of everything TWICE. Listen, NASA, move to BitGravity live streaming and I'll be much happier since my ISP peers with them. Having the stream drop out in THE MIDDLE OF A FREAKING LAUNCH is completely unacceptable. My internet's never done that till today...

I'd really like peering to sites like Ustream, Justin.tv, and many more live streaming sites. Even peering with Steam would dramatically increase speeds due to lower latency.

Off-topic: I found it so uneasy that NONE of the major news networks other than BBC world news covered the shuttle launch live, since most (if not, all) were running videotapes for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home