Saturday, May 31, 2008

After a long conversation... (Leo's Camera Supply visit Log)

...A VERY long hour long conversation with a Leo's Camera Supply salesman, I've decided on the Z1U again after comparing both side by side in store. The primary reason why the XH-A1 is not practical is because I'd need a Letus35 (around $1000-$2000 more) to make believable film-look in 24p.

The A1 also needs more effort in order to access certain features compared to the Z1U (Timecode Preset can only be accessed by assigning a button on the A1, while it's a menu on the Z1U). The Zooming speed is slow too, the LCD is smaller and I'm not certain it is a hybrid LCD that can refract sunlight that is present also on my HC7.

The Leo's salesman actually personally recommended the A1 but I still had my doubts and I didn't need native 24p at the moment. He then stated that a general audience would appreciate a story rather than the little technical details. Then a discussion about subconsciouses preferring better quality over lower quality kind of confused me to where my head got hot.

In the end, at closing time at 4PM, I explained about my plan to start off with steps to progressively step up in cameras. I explained that after I bought my HC7 is that I'd get a non 24p Z1U after it then move into 24p after that with superior resolution. Experience is sometimes better than resolution... (as is the case with the Gulf Island Film and Television School where they only have DSR-PD170 DVCAM cameras). I'll get higher resolution later, but it can't stop sometimes the envy of higher resolution... I need to control those urges...

But all I wanted was to see the Z1U and handle it again, the A1 conversation was just re-ignited by the astronaut video shot with a XH-A1. I got my satisfaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home