Saturday, October 24, 2009

The old HP AMD Laptop is now half-dea...Nope, just fixed it.

Why, you might ask?

*The Internet Explorer is 95% broken

*The XP Search Companion is gone

*The Extended Services window is corrupt with nothing on it

*Installing Windows Script 5.6 ALWAYS produces an error about a DLL I will name below this list

*System Restore is gone

*HTML Help is gone

*I have -1KB images in Internet Explorer

The apparent solution? "regsvr32 jscript.dll" (and for my case, scrrun.dll also needs to be dealt with)

Except, everytime I do that I ALWAYS GET 0x8000405 errors

This is possibly an unfixable other than re-installing windows situation.

And now, I'm sad to say that my Laptop's Internet Explorer is now a Zombie.

Update: After doing a permissions check and fix on the registry using secedit, I think I might have fixed it! Windows Search companion is now showing up, and all the rest are all starting to show up as well, along with IE!

So just remember kids, if you encounter the 0x8000405 errors, check your registry permissions and reset them with something such as secedit or manually using regedit and RegMon (or Process Monitor as it is now called).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home