Friday, July 24, 2009

Bumped down the FSB, unfortunately

After numerous recoverable graphics driver crashes, I've decided to bump down the FSB clock. Getting the FSB to within specs will help in ensuring system stability.

I don't really think my Superclocked card would have that many problems, put it in any other machine and it probably would be fine. So it has to probably be an FSB issue.

I'll edit this post just in case it happens again and the issue is not the FSB, but rather a using programs in order problem.

Edit: It's not the FSB, it's the drivers. It seems in the attempt to make the drivers compatible with both Vista and Windows 7, this created TONS of stability issues.

But, I did get more crashes at 2D clocks when it came to the higher FSB speed (even on the old 9600GT), so it might have had the effect of instability.

I've since reverted to an older driver (the first compatible driver for the card) and am monitoring for problems.

Edit: No more problems after going to 185.85 and applying the Rivatuner force clock speeds trick found here. They've since posted an old solution that's new to me so I'll try that and see what happens.

Edit #2: The cmd commands that built that mini-program actually worked and it speeds up my startup since I don't have to load Rivatuner anymore. Problem solved, but I can't update drivers anymore.

Edit #3: Took a risk and went back up to the 190.38 drivers (the ones that were totally unstable before the clock locking), I did the cmd command and have locked in the clocks at the performance 3D level. If I experience any crashes, I'll post in a new post, but so far it's actually looking good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home