Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Vimeo, now Viddler?

Ok, the reason I moved from my original file uploads from Vimeo to Viddler is because Vimeo abandoned it for basic accounts and Viddler didn't.

Well, guess what just came in my Inbox...

The Terms of Use are changing to state that personal level accounts’ original source file will be stored for 30 days from the date it was uploaded. Of course, the converted video file will be available as long as your account is active. And you will still be able to download the converted file.


This is Deja Vu all over again... Do video sites really want you to PAY to use it as a original file backup service? Some of us use it to both showcase and do an off-site backup. Now, there are NO MORE free off-site video backup/serving services...

I'm outraged by this. I'm guessing I won't upload to any of these sites since they're so untrustworthy to their basic account users until I get enough $$$ for Vimeo Plus... (Oh wait, I don't have a stinking credit card.)

I shall remain with only 2 out of the 3 golden places for backup. I have my Personal Internal and External HDDs, but I'll never get that off-site backup.

This will be cross-posted to my Buzz.