Monday, September 22, 2008

Hardware overclocking my GPU, it's driving me insane..

Following the article below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-graphics-card,1916-6.html

I tried to hardware overclock my 9600GT to the same specs as the EVGA SSC edition. That card was touted as stable and it was also stable when I ran a software overclock of it. Now trying to follow these instructions, I can't because:

1. Everytime I make a bootable floppy, it destroys any chance of it being used again.

2. The USB boot option doesn't work somehow, I've tried everything and it always boots into Windows.

3. I tried a boot CD, but we only had 1 CD-R left and I used it to boot and not to add the flashing app. Plus the stupid DOS did not recognize the floppy drive that I had it on...

It looks so simple, yet has turned into hellfire for me. I hope that:

1. I could take it down to NCIX to have them do it for me

or 2. Get a better floppy drive and disks to try again

But where is hope? It seems too far away to even reach...

Edit: within just minutes after posting this, my floppy drive sprang back to life and created a proper MS-DOS boot disk! I then loaded the overclocked settings into the GPU and I'm proud to say that I have a SSC overclocked Dual-slot EVGA 9600GT.
Now... Back to Folding@Home on my GPU and Seti@home on my CPU...

Could this be a sign of my turning luck?